Have you or your employees been feeling tired and sluggish? Do you fail to get a good night's sleep? Maybe you're struggling to shed excessive pounds or don't have a robust immune system. Fortunately, body detox can significantly improve health. Here's what you need to know about detox, along with its many benefits.
What Is a Body Detox?
Most likely, you've heard of detoxification or detox but may not fully understand what it means. Simply put, body detox is a way in which someone makes essential changes to their lifestyle to clear out body toxins. These changes usually entail abstaining from destructive foods and habits while optimizing their body processes. As a result, the body gets a jump start as it flushes out all those nasty toxins that have built up for years.
Benefits of Detox
There are many advantages for detoxing your body.
1. Physical Benefits
It's the physical benefits that are the most obvious. The organs in your body that are most affected by a body detox are the stomach and liver. After a detox, these organs start working better. As a result, you begin to feel more energetic and "lighter". Furthermore, a detox can get rid of free radicals. This can strengthen your immune system, so you're less likely to get cancer. Also, a detox helps your blood to flow better.
2. Mental Benefits
Besides physical benefits, a detox can improve mental health. Consider how free radicals and toxins that grow in your body can compromise brain functions. For example, if you suffer from chronic fatigue, insomnia and brain fog, body detox can help in removing these problems.
Types of Detox Diets
There are a wide range of detox diets available, such as:
- A raw food detox diet involves eating raw foods for maintaining the proper levels of vitamins and minerals. When you wash or cook food, think about how essential vitamins and minerals become lost. Besides enhancing metabolism, the digestive enzymes found in raw foods strengthens immunity and improves cell functioning.
- Diuretic diets reduce body fat and also helps your body in releasing fluids. There are specific herbs, such as celery seed, parsley, watercress and others that help with this process, along with some beverages and food supplements that serve as diuretics.
- Juice fasts are another kind of liquid detox diet plan. They entail drinking fruit or vegetable juices. An advantage of a juice fast is that it is gentle on the digestive system because your body can directly assimilate them without digestive enzymes.
Other Ways to Detox Your Body
Besides changing your diet, there are other ways to detox y our body.
- Exercise—When you exercise, you sweat. This helps in releasing toxins through your skin. Moreover, exercise helps the lungs. Exercise empties the lungs of unnecessary carbon dioxide, while allowing more oxygenated air to enter, which nourishes the cells. This can lead to better blood circulation and improved health.
- Meditate—In addition to clearing your mind, meditation can reduce stress. In fact, stress can be just as toxic to health as chemicals since a troubled mind can result in your body not functioning as it should.
Common Signs Indicating a Body Detox is Needed
One of the main "red lights" hinting you may need a body detox is feeling fatigued or sluggish. But by having a detox, you can recharge and renew your cells so that your energy and zest for life returns.
Feeling irritable, angry and having mood swings can be symptoms that a body detox is a good idea. Also, being depressed and having trouble concentrating or brain fog are signs.
Other warnings include those such as weight fluctuation, joint pain, skin problems, poor immunity, frequent headaches, muscle aches, hormone imbalance and other physical problems.
Other Considerations and Warnings
- Another significant perk of detox is that it can lead to lifestyle changes. In other words, after your body starts to feel better physically, it's easier to eat healthier, exercise and abandon unhealthy habits, such as smoking.
- Detoxing your body can also help in slowing down the aging process as it reduces toxins that cause skin damage linked with aging.
- It can also help in improving your breath because your colon can be cleansed of toxins needing to be released from your body. In fact, halitosis (bad break) can be caused by a backed-up colon.
- Usually, when people first undergo a body detox, their bodies will rebel against the changes. However, after realizing that this is now the "new normal", the body will eventually begin showing appreciation.
- Avoid taking laxatives and harmful supplements when detoxing.
Photo Credit: Depositphotos